Pages

Saturday 7 January 2017

Acension

Where do I start with this one, as it's not really related to the house I'm currently in, but more to do with something I witnessed first hand, which has left me thinking about how the mind works and how we perceive things that happen around us.

Around 5+ years ago at work one morning I was greeted by a rather scraggy looking cat which I quickly named Felix, due to him being black and white. Felix was very nervous around anyone or any sound, but soon became accustomed to my presence which I put down to me feeding him breakfast every day.

Over the years the cat become known to a lot of the staff I work with, and to some of our customers, yet he was never overly close to anyone that greeted him, as he always remained cautious. The oddity was that I would arrive at work early each morning and he would hear my car, and greet me with a welcoming purr and walk around my feet, then he would walk off to his plate awaiting his breakfast.

On occasions he would vanish for 2 weeks around the summer time, and we would all wonder what had happened to him, or think the worse. But he would always come back and greet me looking scraggy, which I put down to him taking a lads holiday. Well this year he never went on holiday, which was fine, he would lay on the roof at work soaking up the sun, and enjoying life.

Shortly before December he seemed to be laboring with his breathing,  and despite him still greeting me each day, he wouldn't let me get overly close to him. Well one morning when I went into work he wasn't there to greet me, I felt a little more concerned due to his breathing issues and the onset of winter.

Well one day about a week later I was outside where I work, when I suddenly caught sight of Felix staggering out of a bush. I quickly approached him as he laid down on the grass, and could see his breathing was worse, yet he let me stroke him. I quickly phoned another member of staff, who refused to answer her phone, and then I phoned the work line in hope one of the other employees would answer the phone, thus allowing me to stay with the cat, whilst one of them would phone for a vet, as I had no idea of the vets phone number. Sadly nobody answered the phone, and when I returned to work I was told that they had seen me with the cat, and assumed I was ringing to tell them. I said about the cats poor condition and quickly looked up a vets number, but as I went back outside I realized that Felix had gone and I couldn't find him despite me pushing my way into the bramble bush, that was the last time I saw Felix until a few days ago.

So bringing you all up to the present day (some 5-6 weeks later from his disappearance), my boss mentioned to me one morning that one of the storage garages had a really funny smell coming from it and could I investigate, which I duly did.

Upon entering the double garage I was greeted by a very recognizable smell, and anyone that has every come across a dead animal will know exactly what I mean. So I looked around the right garage but could tell the smell was coming from the opening between the two units, and as I walked into the other garage I knew straight away that indeed an animal was inside the unit somewhere.

It's odd how you can train you smell to work out the area the smell is coming from, I could smell it was low down, but not on the ground, and despite looking as best as I could, I couldn't find the source of the smell.

Now imaging a garage full of stuff, and I mean everything from discarded bicycles to tools, skies and even an old car, none of which has been moved in 10+ years. Well my nose had worked out that the smell was coming from within the car as the window was open, yet in order to get to the car I had to climb over some garden tools and balance myself on a wooden table.

As I crawled on my belly towards the open car window I knew the smell was coming from within, at which point I took out my phone to use the flash as a source of light, as it was pretty dark, and near impossible to see inside the car. Well as I got nearer to the open car drivers window and my eyes adjusted I could make out what looked like something white on the passengers foot well.  I then realized that it was an animal, and at this point my left eye was looking at my phone screen, and my right eye was looking into the cars foot well. I then realized that indeed it was Felix, and also in amazement my phone screen showed a light that was getting brighter and brighter, and I mean really bright. I pressed the button on my phone and managed to take two photos, the second one shows the inside of the car, and indeed Felix at rest in the foot well, and the first shows the same image but with a large white light shining, as well as another light source from above.

Now I have know idea what I have taken a photo of, and still can't make out what actually happened, I don't even know if I can share it on here ?. All I know is that at the time I felt immediately sad but was quickly taken over by a feeling of happiness, almost like a sense of he waited to be found, by me, and then it was closure, which isn't really how I think or feel. But maybe we can't decide how our body's react in situations like this.



No comments:

Post a Comment